Contribute to the Historic Dover Gates

Our neighborhood entry gates at Chapel Hill Road and Dover Road, which likely were built in 1926, have deteriorated over the years. Despite regular painting and light maintenance, they now need a significant renovation.

Since the estimated repairs will exceed the HVNA maintenance budget we are calling on all HV residents to help fund the extensive repair that will be required to bring these gates back to life, while maintaining their historic integrity. This is a grassroots effort that needs the support of all HV residents. 

The overall cost for repairing the gates and improving the surrounding landscaping is being estimated now, but is likely to exceed $20,000. We would like to begin the renovations immediately, however, funding needs to be in place prior to beginning the work.  Each HVNA Board member has already made a meaningful donation to get this project started.

There are several opportunities to contribute:
Platinum: $1000.00
Gold: $750.00
Silver: $500.00
Bronze: $250.00
Other amounts are welcomed. All gifts, of any size, are important.

To contribute online, click here and follow these instructions:

  1.  Select the Pay Dues Online button
  2. On the next screen, enter the amount of your contribution in the Other field.
  3. Enter your contact info
  4. In the More field, specify that your contribution is for the Dover Gates.
  5. Proceed with entering your credit card information.

You can also pay by check here:

Hope Valley Neighborhood Association
PO Box 51338
Durham, NC 27717
Please use #DoverGates in the memo line!

The Hope Valley Gates are protected historic landmarks, and renovations will have to adhere to Historic Preservation Commission guidelines. Once we have selected a contractor, you will be informed of the start date and what the process might look like.

Thank you for your serious consideration of this important matter.


Your HVNA Board

The Hope Valley Neighborhood Association is a 501c3 Public Charity, your donations may be tax deductible, please consult your tax specialist.

If you have any questions feel free to contact either, or